Investment guidance, forms, explanations


Use the links provided to find out more about investing, and find out more about the ATO’s investor’s tax planning tips.

Tax planning in general

Tax advice website for investors  The ATO’s tax planning website, designed to help investors and tax agents make informed investment decisions. Features a checklist of what to look for before putting money into a managed investment scheme or similar arrangement.


Tax-smart investing: What Australian property investors need to know Tips from the Tax Office to help you be a tax-smart property investor.

Rental properties 2018 A guide to treating rental income and expenses, deductions and much more.

Rental properties – 10 tips to avoid common mistakes Information to help you avoid common mistakes when claiming deductions and declaring income for your rental property.

Rental properties – claiming deductible expenses Information about what expenses you can claim when you own a rental property.

Rental properties – claiming travel expenses Information about what you can claim as legal expenses for your rental property.

Rental properties – claiming pre-paid expenses Information about what prepaid expenses you can claim on your rental property.

Rental properties – claiming immediate deductions Information about expenses for which you may be entitled to an immediate deduction in the income year you incur the expense for your rental property.

Rental properties – claiming capital works deductions Information about capital works expenses for your rental property and how to claim a deduction

Selling your rental property There are many considerations when selling a rental property, including capital gains or losses as well as depreciating assets and more.

Capital gains and losses

CGT guide 2018 Explains how capital gains tax (CGT) works and will help you calculate your net capital gain or net capital loss for 2017-18 so you can meet your CGT obligations. There are links to worksheets in this guide to help you do this.

Claiming losses from the disposal of shares and units This page contains information on the tax treatment of losses made when disposing of your investments

Capital gains made by trusts If you are entitled to a share in a capital gain made by a trust, you need to know how to declare the amounts on your income tax return. The term trust includes managed funds such as property and share trusts.

Capital gains tax (CGT) on overseas assets Information about tax consequences of going overseas, including changes to the CGT laws.

Record keeping for CGT You must keep records of every transaction, event or circumstance that may be relevant to working out whether you’ve made a capital gain or loss from a capital gains tax (CGT) event.


Investing in bank accounts and income bonds Interest from a bank or other financial institution is part of your assessable income for the year, even if you are a foreign resident for tax purposes.

Childrens savings accounts Information about who is responsible for paying tax on interest earned on children’s savings accounts.

Interest and dividend deductions If you earned interest from an account you must declare this in your tax return. You may be entitled to credits or deductions for income from interest.

Is your investment risky? Some arrangements made to reduce tax liability are not part of ordinary business activities. These arrangements are known as aggressive tax planning. Deductions under these arrangements may not be allowed.


What share investors need to know Tips to help you be a tax-smart share investor.

Income from dividends Dividends paid to shareholders are assessable income in the year they are paid and are to be included on the shareholder’s tax return.

Dividend deductions A guide to deductions claimable against income from dividends and interest.

Children’s share investments There are several considerations to make when a share investor is under 18 years old.

Shares: helping you avoid common mistakes This page contains information on what the ATO has found as mistakes in shareholder tax returns.

Refunding franking credits – individuals An explanation of when individuals are eligible for a refund of excess franking credits and how to apply for a refund.

Employee share schemes – rollover relief If you acquired shares or rights under an employee share scheme (ESS) and the company is restructured, relief from tax may be available under the ESS income tax provisions if you received replacement shares or rights.


Family trusts. Concessions, elections, distributions and more.

Managed investment trusts Follow the links below to read more about how to report income and claim deductions for your managed trust investments.

Trustee beneficiary reporting rules Tax payable by the trustee of a closely held trust where net income of the trust is distributed to another trust and the trustee does not, or cannot, disclose to the Tax Office details about those who are ultimately entitled to that income.

Ultimate beneficiary schedule This schedule enables trustees of closely held trusts to comply with the disclosure requirements in respect of ultimate beneficiaries to net income and tax-preferred amounts of the trusts.

Trust tax return instructions 2018. These instructions cover how to complete schedules that trusts might need to attach to their tax return and record keeping requirements.

Other investment issues

Foreign investments If you are an Australian resident with overseas assets, if you have interests in a foreign company, a trust or life insurance policy, if you receive foreign income that is taxable in Australia and you paid foreign tax on that income.

Personal investors guide to capital gains tax If you sold shares or units in a unit trust, or received a distribution of a capital gain from a managed fund, this guide explains your tax obligations.

Refund of franking credit instructions and application for individuals This publication outlines the criteria for claiming a refund of imputation credits, explains common terms, and includes a worksheet and application forms.


Post a comment