The ATO has published what pre-fill information is available for this Tax Time. It says practitioners can use its pre-filling service to cross-check information provided by your clients with data held by the ATO. This will help ensure the accuracy of returns. ATO announces what’s new in pre-filling
The pre-filling service 2017 includes the following updates and new data:
- reportable fringe benefits and working holiday maker data from payment summaries
- work-related expense messages indicating if your clients made higher than expected claims last year (only available in the portal)
- primary and non-primary production closing stock amounts (only available in the portal) and private health insurance tax claim codes (only available in the PLS) from prior-year tax returns
- message for some government payment types
- investment company capital gain deductions from dividend income
- share of early stage investor tax offset, foreign resident capital gains withholding and exploration credits from managed fund distributions
- net rental property loss and share of early stage investor offset from partnership distributions income
- address and contract information from property transfers
- interest offset account indicator for net farm management deposits or repayments
- removal of type of policy from Medicare levy surcharge
- repayable amounts for student start-up loans
- additional data from the myDeductions app uploaded by your clients (only available in the PLS).
Remember, the pre-filling service only reflects the information received by the ATO at the date you request the data. The ATO reminds practitioners that it expects most pre-filling information to be available by mid-August.
For a more detailed list of what is provided with pre-filling, see this ATO webpage.
ATO announces what’s new in pre-filling ATO announces what’s new in pre-filling ATO announces what’s new in pre-filling